Newcastle Athletic Club’s Hill and Dale Series is a perfect way to start your mountain running journey. Taking place most Thursday evenings throughout April, May and June, it is a fantastic series of summer races throughout the Mourne Mountain area.
Happy Out Adventures is putting on gentle runs along some of the Series’ routes over the coming months. You can use these outings just to get to know the route or bring along your map and compass to practice your navigation skills! Dates and times are listed below:
Dates, Routes and Meeting Places
- Tuesday 30 April, 10am – Binnian. Meeting GR 310 204 (Outside Silent Valley Park)
- Tuesday 7 May, 10am – Lukes. Meeting GR 306307 (Meelmore Lodge).
- Tuesday 14 May, 10am – Millstone. Meeting GR 375305 (Donard Park).
- Sunday 19 May, 9.30am – Loughshannagh (Anti-Clockwise). Meeting GR 277 268 (Layby parking just past road junction).
- Sunday 2 June, 9.30am – Meels (Clockwise). Meeting GR 293296 (Happy Valley Carpark).
- Tuesday 11 June, 10am – Drinnahilly. Meeting GR 375305 (Donard Park).
Cost is £20 a recce. Each route is around 5 miles with a fair amount of climb, so the session will take 90 minutes – 2 hours in total.
What to Bring
- Fell Running Association (FRA) mountain running kit – whistle, waterproof coat with hood, waterproof trousers, hat and gloves in a bumbag are a minimum.
- Fell running shoes.
- Harveys Mourne Mountains 1:25000 map. If you’re buying a new one, the Superwalker XT25 version is perfect – super light and waterproof.
- Your own compass – make sure there’s no bubble in it, as that means it’s broken!